Elgin, TX

ELGIN's HISTORY

The City of Elgin was created by the Houston and Texas Central Railroad on August 18, 1872 and named for Robert Morris Elgin, the railroad’s land commissioner, following the practice of naming new railroad towns after officers of the company. The original plat placed the train depot in the center of a one square mile area.

The City of Elgin owes its existence to a major flood of the Colorado River in 1869. Originally, the railroad was to have run from McDade, ten miles east of Elgin, southwest to the Colorado River at a point somewhere between Bastrop and Webberville, then to Austin following the river.

Many of the original residents of the new town of Elgin came from Perryville, or Hogeye as it was nicknamed, located 2 miles to the south. The community was known by three different names. The post office was officially named Young’s Settlement, and the churches and Masonic Lodge carried the name Perryville. The name Hogeye was given to the stage stop at the Litton home where the community dances were held and according to legend, the fiddler knew only one tune. “Hogeye”, which he played over and over as the crowd danced on the puncheon floor.

In 1885, a group of citizens met in Elgin to organize a new north-south railroad which would run from Taylor, the rail head for the Missouri, Kansas and Texas (“Katy”) Railroad 16 miles to the north, through Elgin to Bastrop, the county seat, 16 miles to the south. The Taylor, Elgin and Bastrop Railroad were formed in 1886 and began building the line. That same year the “Katy” acquired the line and continued the construction on to Houston. Thus, Elgin became the beneficiary of two major rail lines with eight passenger trains daily.

By 1890, the population of Elgin had reached 831, and Elgin was growing during the next few years many new businesses were started. The construction business, brick making, farming, and nearby coalmines brought many Latin American and Black citizens to the area.

The year 1900 produced a bumper crop of cotton and Elgin prospered. The population had increased to 1,258. The city incorporated in 1901, electing Charles Gillespie, building contractor, Mayor; J.D. Hemphill, Marshal; W.E. McCullough, J. Wed Davis, Ed Lawhon, Max Hirach, and F.S. Wade, Aldermen. Local law enforcement was established to enforce newly established civil and criminal codes. By 1910, Elgin was enjoying a period of great prosperity as families from out on the prairie and surrounding communities moved to Elgin and built nice homes.

Elgin rapidly became the most important agricultural center in Bastrop County. Five cotton gins and a cotton oil mill were in operation at the same time. Three manufacturing brick companies in the area gave Elgin the title, “The Brick Capital of the Southwest”.

Elgin Today

CityHallLong recognized for its Sausage and Bricks, Elgin Texas proudly bears the twin titles of the "Sausage Capital of Texas" and the "Brick Capital of the Southwest." But today, Elgin is known for much more than these two industries which have been for decades, and remain today, solid economic foundations for the community. Today Elgin is a city on the move, rich in heritage, progressive in spirit, and optimistic of its future.

Excellent Location
30 minutes east of Austin's Downtown
30 minutes to Austin's Internat'l Airport
10 minutes east of SH130

Great Market
Retail Trade Area of 47,745 people
15 Mile Radius 61,808 people
Median Household Income $54,000
Retail Market Demands $455.5 mil

Large Labor Pool
Greater Elgin Area - 47,745 people
Quality Workforce

Tremendous Opportunity
Affordable Land Values
Economic Incentives
Available Utilities

Significant Growth
1,850 Single Family platted
3,340 Single Family conceptual

Unique Character
Texas Main Street City
Sausage Capital of Texas
Brick Capital of the Southwest

Contact

310 North Main Street
Elgin, Texas 78621
Metro (512) 281-5724
Fax (512) 281-3016

Hours: 8am - 5pm Monday - Friday

City of Elgin
Kerry Lacy- City Manager
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Elgin Economic Development
Joe Newman - Economic Development Director
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Elgin Community Development
Amy Miller -Community Development Director
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.